- 5 tips for designing a dual occupancy home
- 4 steps to acquiring a Construction Certificate and Development Application approval in Sydney
- How to achieve a cost-effective building design
- Luxury home designers name 5 must-have features
- How to plan your home’s layout effectively with a professional.
- What is complying development? A comprehensive guide
- 10 vital reasons to obtain an Occupation Certificate before moving into or using a new building
- What is a design team’s step-by-step process?
- 6 budget-friendly building design and renovation tips
- Manor house designs: everything you need to know
- Why you should invest in the design of your dual occupancy home
- 5 trends to incorporate in your luxury home design
- What can you expect from ES Design’s residential design service consultation?
- Property construction and renovation: your guide to development approval
- What is the online process of acquiring a complying development certificate?
- Making the most of your space through clever architecture
- Architectural drafting services: What is the difference between an architect and a draftsman?
- Architectural design trends
How to achieve a cost-effective building design - 27 Jan, 2021
Everyone wants to achieve a cost-effective building design, but not every client understands what this entails or means. Having a small budget or reducing the cost of construction as much as possible is not the only way to be cost-effective with your building design. Instead of just maintaining low-costs throughout the building design, a comprehensive cost-effective building design solution ensures that building development approval can be acquired and that the design reflects the individual’s needs, interests, lifestyle and the objective of the building design.
Why is building development approval important to take into consideration?
When clients start thinking about their budget and cost-efficiency, they also forget that they have to acquire either a Development Approval (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC). while the type of approval you need is dependent on your building, both have specific requirements which cannot be compromised to accommodate cost-efficiency.
One of ES Design’s designers will be able to work with you to prepare a cost-effective building design that is guaranteed to acquire building development approval, but that also reflects the individual’s needs and the property’s purpose.
6 considerations for achieving a cost-effective building design
1. Geographic location
The geographic location you select reflects the revenue, whether rental, commercial or sale, that you can achieve by constructing your building there. Depending on whether your building is for commercial, industrial or residential use, you’ll want to select an area in your city or state that is conducive for its purpose. For example, for a restaurant, you’ll want to be located in the city or near public transportation. For residential property developments, locations near schools, public transportation, cafes and parks are usually attractive to prospective residents. Understand who you are trying to target and research the area.
2. Orientation of your building
Every building is designed according to the sun path of the region. This allows designers to plan dedicated spaces according to where the sun’s path is most ideal. For example, spaces with very little foot traffic are designed to be in the pathway of the sun as this where it is least comfortable. Cooler areas (no sunlight) are dedicated to rooms with a lot of activity.
How does this save on costs? The design is cost-efficient because it requires building owners to use cooling systems (e.g. air conditioning system) which require less energy use and results in a relatively low-cost energy bill.
3. Roof details
The materials used in your roof are very important for determining whether a roof is a sustainable and cost-effective element of your home. We recommend a roof garden for clients interested in long-term cost-effectiveness. While a ‘green’ roof may initially be more expensive, over time, it will reduce your building’s bills by preventing direct solar impact on waterproofing membranes.
4. Wall cladding
The walls of your building can ensure that your building stays cool during the summer months and warm in the winter. This type of wall cladding helps to keep the energy bills of your building at a minimum because less energy is used to operate cooling systems like air conditioning. Many buildings in Sydney have this feature, however, it’s important to remember as it makes a major difference in your operational spending.
5. Interior design
The furnishing and interior design of your building can impact your finances as well. Sticking to basic layouts that are minimalistic and modern will certainly drive down your costs. However, other elements such as the installation of aluminium double-glazed windows or a living wall can also reduce the costs of running your building.
6. Getting helps from an ES Design team member!
Lastly, our final cost-effective recommendation is to get professional guidance and advice from a member of our team. They will work with you, your budget and help you determine what you require from a building and how you can effectively reduce your costs.
At ES Design, we work with you to ensure that you get exactly what you want from your property. We know how important the design and layout of a project is and the costs of running it, especially if your livelihood depends on it, and thus, will work to ensure that we provide you with the best advice and guidance possible so that your development potential is maximised. To find out more about our services, call us on (02) 9787 2000.
- 5 tips for designing a dual occupancy home - 23 Feb, 2021
- 4 steps to acquiring a Construction Certificate and Development Application approval in Sydney - 2 Feb, 2021
- How to achieve a cost-effective building design - 27 Jan, 2021
- Luxury home designers name 5 must-have features - 5 Jan, 2021
- How to plan your home’s layout effectively with a professional. - 22 Dec, 2020
- What is complying development? A comprehensive guide - 15 Dec, 2020
- 10 vital reasons to obtain an Occupation Certificate before moving into or using a new building - 3 Dec, 2020
- What is a design team’s step-by-step process? - 24 Nov, 2020
- 6 budget-friendly building design and renovation tips - 9 Nov, 2020
- Manor house designs: everything you need to know - 23 Oct, 2020