The City of Parramatta Council has proposed a new Local Environmental Plan (LEP) to consolidate and replace the existing five planning controls that provide the legal guidelines for development and land use. The new LEP will be applicable to the whole Local Government Area (LGA) and will be a clearer and more consistent means to communicate and address anomalies within the land development sector. The following suburbs comprise the Council and will subsequently be regulated by the new LEP when it comes into effect in early 2021:
- Baulkham Hills
- Constitution Hill
- Dundas Valley
- Harris Park
- Mays Hill
- Melrose Park
- North Parramatta
- North Rocks
- Old Toongabbie
- Pendle Hill
- Sydney Olympic Park
- Wentworth Point
- Winston Hills
There are three key changes that are being proposed, some of which are already in place for certain areas.
Prohibition of certain types of developments
In R2 low density residential zones, dual occupancies, indoor recreation facilities, and places of public worship will be prohibited. This new rule will override the State’s Low Rise Housing Diversity Code that allows dual occupancies to be built through complying development.
Land that will be affected by the prohibition of dual occupancies can be found here.
Land that will be affected by changes to zoning can be found here.
Changes to height limits and floor space ratios
The majority of land in the LGA will retain existing height limits and floor space ratio controls, however some areas will adopt changes to allow for consistency:
- R2 land in former Hornsby Council
- Increase height limit from 8.5 to 9 metres
- Apply floor space ratio of 0.5:1
- R3 land in former Hornsby Council
- Decrease height limit from 12 to 11 metres*
- Apply floor space ratio of 0.6:1 *
- *Land fronting Maida Rd, Epping, will retain existing height limit and adopt floor space ratio of 0.8:1
- R4 land in former Hornsby and The Hills Council
- Where unspecified, apply floor space ratio that matches existing height control
- R3 land in former The Hills and Auburn Council
- Increase height limit from 9 to 11 metres
- Apply floor space ratio of 0.6:1 (for The Hills only)
- R3 land in the suburb of Silverwater
- Decrease floor space ratio from 0.75:1 to 0.6:1
Land that will be affected by changes to height limits can be found here.
Land that will be affected by changes to floor space ratios can be found here.
Changes to zoning and land use
The use of land within all LGAs will become more streamlined. The minimum lot size for subdivided land will be 550m2, except in R2 land in the former The Hills Council area, where it will retain a 700m2 minimum. Additionally, vegetation and riparian land will need to be considered in the design and management of new developments to reduce the risk of negative environmental impact.
Land that will be affected by changes to minimum lot size can be found here.
Land that will need to be considered in new developments can be found here:
Submit your feedback
The public exhibition of the draft Parramatta Local Environmental Plan will be open for review until 12 October 2020 and is anticipated to come into effect in early 2021.