- Building Ministers’ Meeting establishes new minimum standards for accessible dwellings
- Clause 4.6 of the Standard Instrument LEP currently in review
- 4 steps to acquiring a Construction Certificate and Development Application approval in Sydney
- How to achieve a cost-effective building design
- Draft Local Environmental Plan now on exhibition for the City of Parramatta Council
- Changes to Home Building Act now in effect
- New Housing Diversity SEPP to hinder build-to-rent and seniors housing developments
- Update on developer contributions
- Low Rise Housing Diversity Code now operating in all NSW local government areas
- NCC 2019 Amendment 1 has taken effect!
- The Residential Apartment Buildings (Compliance and Enforcement Powers) Act 2020 (NSW)
- Changes to what is deemed "physical commencement"
- COVID-19 buys time on DA process
- Alternative assessment introduced for large boarding houses
- Draft Design and Building Practitioners Bill 2019
- Canterbury LEP changes to Boarding Houses
- The Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code (MDHC) has been deferred again
- Changes to Certifiers' compliance powers and new provisions for CC's and OC's
- The Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code has been deferred
- NCC 2019 has taken effect!
- The introduction of the Options Paper - ‘Improving Certifier Independence’
- NSW Combustible Cladding Regulation
- IHAPS to be introduced for all Sydney Councils
- New simplified housing code
- BASIX energy targets to change
- Guide to building tolerances is released
- General Housing Code changes
- Introduction of the Inland Housing Code for Complying Development
- Complying development for dual occupancies and townhouses
- Positive changes to Home Building Compensation Fund
- New online planning tools
- BCA 2015
- Swimming Pools are now required to be registered
- NSW Government releases green paper
- BASIX Certificates are no longer free
- SEPP (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 Amendment 2011
NCC 2019 has taken effect! - 1 May, 2019
What is NCC?
The National Construction Code (NCC) is an all-encompassing set of on-site construction requirements put together by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG). It is administered by State/Territory government, where they form various building and plumbing Acts and Regulations. These Acts and Regulations are usually delegated to local governments and certifiers to enforce the minimum standard of safety, health, sustainability, accessibility and amenity of a new building’s design and construction.
On 1 May 2019, NCC 2019 took effect in all States & Territories. Changes contained within this year’s NCC have been summarised in seminars hosted by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB). Webcasts of these seminars, as well as a seminar on the Plumbing Code of Australia, can be watched here.
Exceptions to the rule
For the energy efficiency provisions outlined in the below, a 12-month transition period is allowed, where either the NCC 2019 or the previous NCC 2016 can be used:
- · Section J of Volume 1
- · Parts 2.6 and 3.12 of Volume 2
By 30 April 2020, NCC 2019 must be adopted for these energy efficiency provisions.
The new Fire Safety Verification Method (FSVM) is exempt from the 1 May 2019 adoption. Instead, it will come into effect a year later, on 1 May 2020. In the lead up, the ABCB website will provide information to help practitioners prepare for its adoption.
Accessing 2019 Consolidated Performance Requirements
Unlike previous years, the Consolidated Performance Requirements will now be accessible as part of one easy-to-navigate document. To locate relevant Performance Requirements via NCC Online, simply select the “Filter by” button on the top of the Table of Contents.
The next update to NCC is scheduled to be released in 2022.
- Building Ministers’ Meeting establishes new minimum standards for accessible dwellings - 30 Apr, 2021
- Clause 4.6 of the Standard Instrument LEP currently in review - 31 Mar, 2021
- 4 steps to acquiring a Construction Certificate and Development Application approval in Sydney - 2 Feb, 2021
- How to achieve a cost-effective building design - 27 Jan, 2021
- Draft Local Environmental Plan now on exhibition for the City of Parramatta Council - 2 Sep, 2020
- Changes to Home Building Act now in effect - 31 Aug, 2020
- New Housing Diversity SEPP to hinder build-to-rent and seniors housing developments - 24 Aug, 2020
- Update on developer contributions - 22 Jul, 2020
- Low Rise Housing Diversity Code now operating in all NSW local government areas - 1 Jul, 2020
- NCC 2019 Amendment 1 has taken effect! - 1 Jul, 2020